Tuesday 16 December 2008

Homemade Christmas Crackers

20081220-002.JPG

We spent a lovely long weekend at Luke's parent's. The hampers went down very well, the biscuits were munched on all weekend, and we got a foodie Christmas present in return, a meal out at a nearby gastro pub The Crooked Billet, which was yummy. Luke made us all watch the BBC sports personality of the year, and what a great year it was for cycling, which made him very happy. I only watched with half an eye as I was knitting up 16 wooly bracelets from a tutorial over at the lovely resurection fern. These are for our friend's Christmas meal party at the weekend. Usually I'd have been cooking a dish for it, but when everyone made it clear they couldn't have a Christmas meal without crackers I volunteered to make them to avoid the eco-abomination of bought crackers. Hats made from last year's Cristmas wrapping paper, jokes found on the internet, and cracker snaps purchased from eBay, were the easy part. Then I got really stuck trying to think of what else to put in the crackers that wasn't plastic tat, and didn't cost anything, so we could spend more money on bubbly! Hmmm... many ideas were rejected as I worried my friends would think they were too lame. Then I spotted a list of handmade present tutorials, by one of my favourite bloggers, which included these sweet wooly bracelets. I nervously fished them out of the washing machine to find they'd felted perfectly and shrunk by just the right amount, whew! Thankfully I had lots of wool so they didn't cost a penny, so I could spend some of the budget on fairtrade Divine chocolate money instead.
Luke volunteered to go get the food shopping for the party by bike trailer, and to cook the meat. That way we can get the veggies from our lovely local greengrocer and organic meat from Mansergh, I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Those turned out amazing. I love the colors. We make homemade crackers every year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margie. What do you usually put inside your christmas crackers?

    ReplyDelete